- Boston Children's Hospital, Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus, 2014
- Princess Margaret Hospital and The Hospital for Sick Children (Sickkids) Toronto, Ocular Oncology
- Valley Retina Institute, Vitreoretinal Surgery, 2010
- Boston Medical Center, Ophthalmology, 2017
- Hospital Universitario, 2008
- Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon, 2002
Dr. Efren Gonzalez is a pediatric and adult vitreoretinal surgeon, pediatric and adult ocular oncologist, and pediatric ophthalmologist and strabismus surgeon. He is the Director of the Ocular Oncology Service at Boston Children's Hospital. Dr. Gonzalez treats various oncological and retinal conditions, including intraocular tumors such as retinoblastoma, choroidal melanoma, ocular lymphoma, and tumors of the lids, eye surface, iris, ciliary body, retina, and orbit. As a retinal specialist, he treats retinopathy of prematurity, familial exudative vitreoretinopathy, Norrie disease, Coats' disease, Von Hippel Lindau syndrome, persistent fetal vasculature, congenital retinoschisis, traumatic macular hole, open globe injuries, and all forms of retinal detachment. Dr. Gonzalez received his MD with honors from the Universidad Autonoma de Nuevo Leon in Monterrey, Nuevo Leon, Mexico. He completed two ophthalmology residency programs, three clinical fellowships (in Vitreoretinal Surgery, Ocular Oncology, and Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus), and two research fellowships.