At Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s, your privacy is important to us and we take important steps to protect the privacy and security of your information.
Types of Information We Collect
In order to better serve you, we may collect the following categories of information through the Website:
(i) contact information you provide (such as name, mailing address, e-mail address, or phone number), (ii) any subscription preferences if you receive communications from us, (iii) any surveys you respond to with feedback, and (iv) Online User Activity as described below.
How We Use Information We Collect
We may use the information we obtain about you for purposes and to the extent allowed by applicable laws, including:
- Provide the Website to you, including to provide information and the services offered through the Website or otherwise by Dana-Farber/Boston Children’s, and provide other important notices;
- Respond to your requests, questions and comments;
- Monitor the performance of the Website including metrics such as total number of visitors, traffic, and demographic patterns;
- Tailor the content we display through the Website and in our communications, including any content or advertising that we believe may be of interest to you;
- Operate, evaluate and improve our Sites, and diagnose or fix technology problems; and
- Comply with and enforce as needed applicable legal requirements, industry standards, our policies and our contractual rights.
We may also use or share information in an aggregate manner or as may otherwise be permitted by law for many purposes such as research, analysis, modeling, marketing, and improvement of the Website.
How We Share Information
We may share your information with third parties in the following circumstances:
- We may share your information with service providers that we believe need the information to perform a technology, business, or other professional function for us (examples include IT services, maintenance and hosting of our Sites, payment processors, marketing partners, and other service providers).
- If you voluntarily share or submit any content for public posting through the Website (e.g., picture, story, commentary), or link it to any social media platforms, that post and any content or information associated with it may become available to the public.
- We also may disclose information about you (i) if we are required to do so by law or legal process, (ii) when we believe disclosure is necessary to prevent harm or financial loss, (iii) in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity; or (iv) under exigent circumstances to protect the personal safety of our staff, patients, users of the Website or the public.
Where appropriate and possible, we will limit sharing of your information in accordance with the choices you have provided us.
Confidentiality and Security
The confidentiality and security of your information is important to us. We maintain information security programs designed to protect information you choose to provide through the Website. The safeguards we have implemented to protect the information we collect include maintaining a secure firewall and using reasonable efforts to prevent unauthorized access to information collected through the Website. We also encrypt and secure the confidentiality of user-supplied information transmitted to us when required by law or as we otherwise deem appropriate.
Online User Activity
We, our service providers, and advertising partners may collect certain information about the device(s) you use to access our Website and your use of our Website by automated means, including but not limited to cookies and other similar technologies (“Online User Activity”).
“Cookies” are small data files that online services can store on, and retrieve from, a user's computer or mobile device through the web browser. Cookies are very commonly used by websites and most browsers are configured to accept cookies.
When you use the Website, the information we may collect by automated means includes, for example:
- Usage details about your interaction with our Website (such as the date, time, and length of visits, and specific pages or content accessed during the visits, search terms, frequency of the visits, referring website addresses);
- Device information including the IP address and other details of a device that you use to connect with our Website (such as device type and unique device identifier, operating system, browser type, and mobile network information); and
- General location information if your device shares information about its location.
Cookies and these other technologies can help us automatically identify you when you return to our Website. Cookies help us review website traffic patterns and improve the Website. To the extent permitted by law, we can also use such information to deliver customized content and advertising to users of the Website whose behavior indicates that they are interested in a particular subject area. Our Website works to help us track and analyze visitor activity on the Website, measure the effectiveness of our advertising efforts, and support the optimization of our digital marketing campaigns.
You can turn off tracking cookies from our Website in your browser by clicking here or with the settings button on the cookie banner which appears when visiting the Website. Please note that some peripheral sites (i.e., subdomains) accessible through our website may not support cookie preferences, so cookies on those sites will not be affected by your settings. As an alternative, most browsers allow the visitor to reject cookies. In either instance, if you choose to decline cookies, you may not be able to fully experience the interactive features our Sites provide. Because there is not yet a consensus on how companies should respond to web browser-based do-not-track ("DNT") mechanisms, we do not respond to web browser-based DNT signals at this time.
International Data Transfers and Use
Links to Other Websites or Content
For Boston Children’s:
In order to verify your identity, we may require you to provide us with certain information prior to accessing any records containing information about you.
Last Updated February, 2023